Adventure and Fighting Fear with Tegan Phillips
This is last the interview episode for Season 1, but do not fear I have 2 more amazing episodes whizzing to you very soon!
Why do negative thoughts float into our minds and sometimes stay on repeat? I’m not good enough. I don’t deserve this. I’m not beautiful. I can’t do this. They’re much more adventurous than I am, so I can’t do that.
None of the above is true and yet more often than not, we listen to these voices of doubt, fear, worry and anxiety, when we should be listening to confidence, adventure, happiness and love.
All of our beautiful and positive thoughts come from the guidance of our heart and gut, our true, whole self, that is much too often drowned out.
With me on the show today is an incredibly resilient adventuress, who is a cartoon adventure superstar. And I’m talking about none other than the awesome South African Tegan Phillips!
You never know where a few cartoons and a cycle touring bicycle competition can lead you, and for our guest today, it’s opened wide a whole new world to her, full of incredible opportunities and tough challenges.
Through cycling touring and making up and completing New Zealand’s longest triathlon (you know, just 10 iron mans in 25 days - how hard can it be?!), Tegan has discovered the power of herself.
And so can we - by applying the adventure mindset to our everyday life, which Tegan divulges in today’s show!
We also chat about how adventure was a turning point in Tegan’s life and cycle deeply into how we can change our relationship to fear. After all, it is just a purple potato!
For the last time on Season 1, I hope you enjoy this amazing conversation just as much as I enjoy producing it!
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN
- How to change your relationship to fear
- We can have an adventure everyday with the right mindset
- How to listen to our heart and gut for guidance
QUESTION OF THE DAY: What was your favourite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know in the comments below :)
3 ACTIONS YOU CAN TAKE
- Start recognising the emotions of your negative thoughts, anxiety, fear etc., and turn them into a character (like a purple potato) and see that they are separate from you. You can make them small, far away, change their colour, their sound, where they are - anything you like that makes that feeling/emotion shrink and fade away.
- Create positive thoughts and feelings like ‘I can do this’, ‘I am beautiful’ and make that into a character, perhaps it’s you, and again, change how this character looks, feels, sounds and where it is until it’s more powerful than the other character
- Every time you feel the negative character cropping up, stop and consciously choose to listen to your positive character
Let me know how you get on below!
Who Tegan Phillips is in the world today
[0:00] Introduction to the show with an added surprise!
[3:20] Introducing Tegan - Sunspiration and exclamania!
[6:35] What adventure means to Tegan
[7:32] How did you get into adventure?
[8:55] How adventure has impacted Tegan’s life
[13:05] Tegan’s transformed inner voice
[14:42] Difference in sounds and feelings between fear and heart/gut guidance?
[16:16] How to make a right decision with your heart and gut (using ice cream)
[18:41] Fear is a purple potato
Cartoons and Creativity
[22:12] How Tegan got into cartoons
[24:29] How to document your adventure through drawing
[26:24] Tegan’s Creative Space
Tegan's New Zealand Adventure
[28:14] Cartoons and New Zealand’s Longest Triathlon
[32:10] Highlights from Tegan’s New Zealand adventure
[33:32] Techniques to overcome physical barriers
[34:41] Crossing the finish line
[35:30] Wild Fire Questions
- What 5 possessions would you keep?
- 24 hour microadventure on a tandem bicycle - who would you choose and where would you go?
- How would your life look like in 10 years
- What would you draw on a Billboard?
[37:27] Where to connect with Tegan
SELECTED LINKS FROM THE EPISODE
Find Tegan here